Windows Installation Instructions
for Adobe Schema eBooks
WARNING: DO NOT CLICK ON YOUR PERSONAL EBOOK FILE LINK UNTIL YOU HAVE FIRST INSTALLED AND AUTHORIZED ADOBE DIGITAL EDITIONS ON YOUR COMPUTER.
IF YOU CLICK ON THE EBOOK FILE LINK FIRST, YOUR EBOOK WILL NOT OPEN -- AND YOU WILL HAVE TO PURCHASE A NEW ADOBE EBOOK.
Please click here for Compatibility Information regarding Adobe Schema eBooks.
If you purchased the "Adobe eBook for 6 - Print from 2", be sure to FIRST install BOTH eBook file links on the 2 computers that you want to print from, before you install the links on any tablets or other devices.
Click here for help installing Adobe eBooks on an iPad or Android tablet .
The Secure (or DRM-Protected) PDF eBook format from Adobe that we use for our Schema eBooks is compatible with most Windows PC's and laptops, running Vista, Windows 7, 8, 8.1, or 10 (in desktop mode). Windows RT tablets, such as the Microsoft Surface 2, are not compatible.
While there are several Windows applications that can be downloaded to read Adobe Schema eBooks, we only provide support for the “Adobe Digital Editions" eReader (ADE). Digital Editions is available as a free download. You can read more about Digital Editions on the Adobe website.
Compatibility with Adobe Digital Editions
We highly recommend that you download and install the latest version of Adobe Digital Editions for Windows (ADE), Version 4.5.X, if you are running Windows 7 or higher.
If you are running Windows Vista, you should download Version 3.01 of ADE. Both versions can be downloaded from the "Confirmation and Download" page that opens immediately after you complete your Adobe purchase. (You can also access the Download page later from your Confirmation email; just click on the View Purchase Online link.)
If you have difficulty installing ADE on your Windows PC or laptop using the instructions in the next section, click on the link below for a detailed tutorial, with photos to guide you. (The instructions are almost identical for ADE v3.01 and ADE v4.5.x) Begin at Step 5 in the tutorial:
eBook Installation Instructions for Compatible Windows Computers
This section contains complete instructions on how to to install the ADE Reader on your compatible Windows computer, authorize it, then view and print your Schema eBook.
To download the instructions below as a Word document, please scroll to the bottom of this page and click on the Word icon.
Please follow the instructions below carefully:
1. Go to the "Download & Confirmation" page that opened immediately after you completed your purchase. You can access this page by opening your purchase confirmation email, then clicking on the link "View Purchase Online".
2. Click on the the blue Download button next to the version of ADE you want to install. You can choose either:
Adobe Digital Editions 4.5.X for Windows 7 & Higher OR
Adobe Digital Editions 3.01 for Windows Vista
As mentioned above, we strongly recommend the 4.5.X version of ADE if you have Windows 7 or higher.
If you lost your confirmation email, you can also download either version of ADE from the Adobe website instead, using one of these links:
3. Locate the installation file that you just downloaded on your computer: either ADE_4.5_Installer.exe or ADE_3.0_Installer.exe. You can usually find the .exe file in the Downloads folder of your computer -- or by looking in the Downloads bar or menu in your browser.
4. Single- or double-click on the ADE Installer file you found in Step 3.
5. You may see a security warning, asking if you want to run this file. If you see this message, click Run.
6. The ADE Setup Wizard will open. Follow the instructions on each screen, then click Next. (Accept the license agreement, then check the components you want to install. Be sure to check the option "Associate .acsm and .epub file types".)
7. On the last screen of the Wizard, click the Install button. The wizard will then automatically extract the installation files and finish the installation. When the wizard screen says "Completed", click the Close button.
For help with the Setup Wizard, click here for a photo tutorial:
8. Depending on your version of Windows, the Adobe Digital Editions program will probably open automatically.
9. a. You will now need to complete a free, one-time registration for an Adobe ID, in order to authorize ADE on your computer. (If you already have an Adobe ID, skip to Step 12. Be sure to use your existing Adobe ID, instead of registering for a new one, if you have one.)
b. The first time ADE opens, a Computer Authorization dialogue box may open automatically. If the box to authorize your computer is open, go to Step 10. If not, click on the Help menu near the top of ADE. Then click on "Authorize Computer...". The Computer Authorization dialog box will now open.
10. Near the middle of the "Computer Authorization" dialogue box, next to the words "Adobe ID", you will see "Create an Adobe ID" in blue. Click on this link. This will bring you to the Adobe website where you will be able to sign up for an Adobe ID.
11. On the Sign Up page, fill in all of the information required to register, including your email address and password. Then click "Sign Up".
12. Once you have completed the Adobe ID registration process, return to the "Computer Authorization" dialogue box in ADE. Follow the instructions below to authorize your computer:
a. In the field labeled “eBook Vendor”, be sure that “Adobe ID” is already selected.
b. Enter your Adobe ID and Password in the next two boxes (from Step 11 above).
c. Click Authorize. Your computer is now authorized with your Adobe ID. (You will not have to authorize this computer again to view eBooks in ADE.)
If you have difficulties signing up for an Adobe ID or authorizing your computer in ADE, click on the link below for detailed instructions, with photos to guide you. After clicking on the link, scroll down to the section labeled: Authorize your computer with an Adobe ID:
13. Open the confirmation email you received from us on your computer. Locate your Personal File Link for the eBook in the email, then click on it. (You can also copy and paste the link into the address bar of your browser, as long as you are copying the link on the same computer as your email program. Then hit the Enter key.)
Each Personal File Link begins with either: https://www.editionguard.com/download/ OR https://app.editionguard.com/download/. (The file link also contains your Schema eBook product name, followed by your 10-digit Transaction ID.)
14. A webpage should open from EditionGuard with the words: “You're now downloading”, followed by the name of the eBook product you purchased. Below this, the tab For PC or Mac Computers should be highlighted in red.
a. Skip to instruction 3. Download on this EditionGuard webpage.
b. Click on the sentence Click here to start downloading your .acsm file, highlighted in red.
15. After clicking, ONE of the following should happen (depending on your default browser and system configuration):
a. A window may open, offering you the option of opening the ***.acsm file in ADE, or saving the file. If you see this window, select the Open option, then click “OK”, instead of saving the file. Then you should see a new window open, showing the eBook being transferred to ADE. Skip to Step 15.
b. Locate the file named ***.acsm on your computer or in your browser, then click on it. (You can usually find the file in your “Downloads” folder -- or in the Download bar or menu of your default browser.)
You should now see a new window open, showing the eBook being transferred to ADE. Continue to Step 15.
16. You should now see the contents of the eBook open in ADE so that you can read all of the pages. Use the scrollbar to view the pages contained in the eBook. You can also zoom in and out by clicking on the icon called “Change Page View” , near the upper right corner of ADE. (The setting Actual Size 1:1 is often the best for reading the Schema eBook.)
17. To print from your eBook, click on the File menu, then click Print. Type the page numbers you want to print in the “Page Range” box, then click the Print button. The pages you selected should now print correctly.
Depending on your printer, you may find that the printed version looks slightly different from the on-screen view; for example, the margins may be different, or the font sizes may change. These can sometimes be adjusted by finding the printer properties page for your printer, and changing the scaling percentage.
18. Your installation has now completed successfully. For additional help using Adobe Digital Editions, you will probably find an eBook that was automatically installed in ADE called "Getting Started with Adobe Dgitial Editions."
19. You can only install each eBook link on one computer or tablet (unless you purchased an "Adobe Schema eBook for 6" product).
If you have any problems installing, viewing, or printing your Schema eBook, please read the Troubleshooting FAQ here first.
Download eBook Installation Instructions for Windows and Mac
Click on the Word icon below to download detailed instructions (in Microsoft Word format) for installing the Schema eBook on a Windows or Mac computer: